Friday, April 23, 2010

Dottie and Lottie by M.G. Hays, c. 1907


I posted this two years ago, on my first blog. It's one of the best postcards I own, and can't resist posting especially for Postcard Friendship Friday. Unused, undivided back, which someone commenting here did say  indicated 1907 or earlier. Artist: Margaret G. Hays, sister of Grace Drayton of Dolly Dingle fame. Hays did her own comic strip and paper dolls, including the full page illustrations for the Mary Frances Housekeeping books. I'm surprised to find very little bio about Hays available on the web, not even exact year of birth and death. Hmm. Maybe someone out there can enlighten me.

And thank you Beth for hosting Postcard Friendship Friday. Be sure to visit her site, The Best Hearts Are Crunchy for some lovely images and writing.

15 comments:

  1. Preciosa postal, es un tesoro y gracias por el enlace.
    Que pases un bonito fin de semana.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,

    Your collection is amazing! I love seeing each image you share with us, thank you for doing so.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful card - but look at the size of that hat! a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your blog--and I adore this postcard. Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful postcards with us! Your posts are just amazing.

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great postcard. I have some of the Mary Frances books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these old paper doll postcards they are treasures!!! thanks for sharing... PFF!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvelous card. I played with paperdolls when I was lots lots younger. Wonderful! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I imagine these are rare - many must have been used as paper dolls. Happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy
    Happy PFF to you .
    Thank you for sharing this fabulous treasure.
    Have a fantastic weekend.
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! I know I would have cut it up as a child, so you are probably lucky to have this intact.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful postcard indeed.

    You should check out Marge's blog at http://marlendy.wordpress.com/

    She collects paper dolls and seems to have a good knowledge of them.

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I love Marge's blog. She has things I haven't seen before. I've had the pleasure of meeting her at past paper doll conventions, hope to see her at the next one in K.C.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    Thanks for sharing this M. G. Hays postcard online! My grandfather left me a large collection of antique postcards that I am in the process of listing on eBay. I just listed an artist signed Hays postcard and was looking for more info on her and came across your blog. If you would like to see the card, here's the link to my auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160513839131&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT
    Thanks again; you have a wonderful antique postcard.
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete